If I won the lottery and had an excess of money, I’d open up my own flower shop.
When I pass by a nice flower shop, I rename it in my head and imagine working there all day, surrounded by beautiful flowers. This daydream must stem from some movie I saw.
I block out the fact that I’ve never made a nice flower arrangement in my life. And, I’ve only ever owned less than a handful of plants. Plus, I seem to be allergic to all trees, so I’ll likely sneeze a lot around flowers and plants too.
But alas, my lotto tickets have yielded me $0, or less than $0 factoring in cost of tickets.
So I’m stuck in our apartment with minimal natural light, which means fake succulents are the easiest solution.
To add some “greenery” to our apartment, I made this decoration. It has a natural and industrial look to it.
For the natural part, I took a 1×4, cut it up into three equal pieces, sanded down the edges, and stained it.
Then I used a piece of scrap wood and screws to hold the three pieces of wood together. I always try to pre-drill smaller holes first before screwing in the screw, it makes it much easier and smoother. I put in two little hooks on each side and tied wire between them, so I could hang it on the wall. I then flipped it over and put in the nails where each bottle would hang.
For the industrial part, I recycled a few Naked juice bottles.
I liked the bright bottle caps and wanted to include them, so I flipped the bottles over and painted the bottom of each “vase.” I used some tape to cover up the top part that I didn’t want painted, took off the bottle caps and spray painted the bottoms with Rust-oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover spray paint. After it was dry, I took off the tape and saw that some of the paint seeped through the tape where I must not have sealed it enough, so I used a rubbing alcohol pad to wipe/scrape away the extra paint.
I flipped the bottles over and cut off the bottoms. I also cut off some of the front and sides of the bottles, keeping the back a little higher than the other sides. I drilled a small hole into the higher back side, where I could hook it onto the nail in the wood.
I stuffed the bottom with some scrap paper (since no one would see it because of the paint), then layered in some multi-colored moss. I then took my succulent and placed the stem firmly in the moss, cutting it shorter as needed. Then, I topped it off with some rocks.
Once each bottle was done, I hooked them onto the nails I put in the wood.